The Message Editor tool lets you edit content and compare HL7 messages against a profile in order to flag conformance gaps. This is useful when you need to troubleshoot data flow in a live interface that has been documented in Caristix Workgroup.
Message Editor in Workgroup works as follow:
Load HL7 messages
- On the menu bar, go to FILE, Open…
- In the open dialog, select HL7 logs with which you want to work.
- Click the “Browse My Computer” link to select HL7 logs from your computer’s file system.
The selected HL7 messages will be loaded in the Messages tab.
Select a Profile for validation
Using a profile in the message editor will enable the message validation feature. The message validation will compare the HL7 messages against the profile in order to flag conformance gaps. Such gaps could come from:
- Invalid message structure
- Invalid data format
Click to de-identify current messages. After the de-identification process is complete, the de-identified messages will replace your current loaded messages. Take a look at the De-identification Concepts to understand this process.
Explore message definition
When you are analyzing a message log, you sometimes need to quickly capture an overview of a message or segment.
From there you can show/hide:
- Message Content.
- Missing Elements: Segment/field/component/sub-component that are defined in the profile but don’t exist in the message’s content.
- Required Elements: Field/component/sub-component that are mark as “R – Required” or “RE – Required but may be empty” in the profile.
- Non-Required Elements: Field/component/sub-component that are not mark as “R – Required” or “RE – Required but may be empty” in the profile.
Contextual actions on selected elements
If you right-click an element in the Messsages Structure/Messages or Validation tab, a contextual menu will open. It contains the available actions for the selected element.
- Create New Message: You can insert a new message before or after the selected message.
- Send Message: You can send selected messages to a network connection and view the ACK content.
- View Specification: Open the segment/field/component/sub-component in the Profile Editor.
- View Values: Open the Table Library.
- Message Structure: Open a dialog containing the message definition.
- Find: Find a value in the message.
- Replace: Replace a value in the message.
- Save Messages: Save messages as .HL7, .XML or. CSV format
Filter & Sort messages
Please refer to the Search and Filter Messages documentation to work with Data Filters and Sort Queries.
Highlight conformance gaps
The Message Editor tool lets you compare an HL7 message against a profile in order to flag conformance gaps. This is useful when you need to troubleshoot data flow in a live interface that has been documented in Caristix Workgroup. Validation tab displays conformance gaps flagged by the application.